Emergency & Critical Care Veterinary Nurse
Essendon Fields VIC
• Does the thrill of trauma and emergency medicine excite you, but you still remain as cool as a cucumber?
• If you are an emergency & critical care nurse or experienced GP nurse looking to advance your career – we would love to hear from you!
An opportunity for an Emergency & Critical Care Veterinary Nurse to join our Animal Referral Hospital in Essendon Fields on a full-time basis.
Our hard-working, close-knit team that is dedicated to best possible patient outcomes and who works within their client’s needs. The successful applicant will need to be available for varying day, evening and overnight shifts on a fortnightly roster in our 24/7 hospital.
The Animal Referral Hospital (ARH) Essendon has a 24 hour per day, 7 days a week, dedicated emergency and critical care (ECC) service. The hospital is staffed with an outstanding team of emergency veterinarians and nurses working alongside specialists in ECC / internal medicine and surgery. We aim to provide a responsive, comprehensive emergency and referral service to Victorian veterinarians, their clients and their pets. We provide high professional and clinical standards, which are tempered with genuine care and compassion.
ARH is well equipped with CT, MRI, digital radiology, ultrasound, endoscope, in-house laboratory, ventilators, patient monitors and sophisticated emergency and surgical facilities. ARH utilises fully integrated Rx works software and operates with Smartflow electronic hospital charting. We also have the added advantage of internal referral to our associate specialist departments in surgery, medicine and advanced imaging.
Our nursing team is highly valued and encouraged to utilise their skills and work autonomously to support our specialist veterinarians in providing exceptional patient care. Nurses also have access to regular free in-house continuing education sessions to develop their existing skillset and knowledge.
About Your New Role
• Admission & triage of emergency patients
• Forward planning and providing direct and individualised patient care for critically ill patients
• Performing diagnostics and treatments
• Plan and perform anaesthesia for ill or unstable patients
• Record all care information concisely and accurately
• Work directly under the guidance and support of veterinarians and senior nurses
• Liaise knowledgeably and accurately with staff and clients.
• General Housekeeping
We are searching for an experienced nurse who possesses the ability to multitask and work well as a team in an often face-paced environment. Specialist hospital experience is preferable, but a strong general practice background is welcome and looked highly upon. On the job training will be provided with ongoing support by senior nurses and veterinarians however applicants must possess the ability to work unsupervised as well as demonstrate reasonable proficiency in basic nursing skills such as intravenous catheter placement, fluid therapy, drug dose calculations, use of monitoring equipment and assessing vital signs, as the role involves a degree of autonomy and use of initiative.
• Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or higher
• 2 years or more full-time experience in general practice post qualification
• A professional and positive demeanour
• Ability to work efficiently with initiative in a face-paced environment
• Excellent communication skills
• Well-developed organisational skills
• Interest in emergency and critical care medicine
• Previous experience in an emergency or specialist hospital (but not essential)
• Knowledge of Rx works / Smart flow will be highly regarded (but not essential)
Benefits for You
• Expand your clinical skills and knowledge in a supportive, exciting and dynamic environment
• A challenging and rewarding position
• In-house continuous education/ professional development/ Yearly CE budget for external education
• Mentorship, on job training and continuous workplace support
• Employee Assistance Program
• Staff discounts and social events
How to Contact Us
Please forward your application via email with the subject field ‘Emergency Nurse Position’ with current resume, cover letter and references to Rachel Scholten, Emergency & Critical Care Nurse Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org