Small Animal Medicine Internship
Are you passionate about medicine? If so, an internship in medicine is the start of a path towards specialization. At VRH we have 3 specialists in Small Animal Medicine (American and European boarded) who will guide you along this path, through your involvement in complex medicine cases along with dedicated mentorship.
VRH is a multi-disciplinary referral hospital and 24/7 Emergency Centre in Melbourne’s South-East. We pride ourselves on being a patient-focused practice and delivering treatment that has the patient’s best interest in mind. We also believe in a team approach to patient care, recognising that optimum patient care often requires the involvement of more than one specialist.
Working with the Medicine Specialists, our team consists of 2 Surgeons, 3 Neurologists, 2 Radiologists, full time Specialist Anaesthetists and a Specialist Oncologist. We have recently moved into a purpose-designed new hospital. Imaging facilities include fluoroscopy, 16 slice CT and a 1.5T MRI, with dedicated Radiographers. We have a full suite of rigid and flexible endoscopes and perform interventional procedures working together with our Surgeons and Radiologists. Patient care is enhanced by a 24-hour intensive care unit.
About Your New Role
The 12-month position is a full-time role as an intern in the medicine department (Monday to Friday). The successful applicant will be required to assist the medicine specialists to ensure that patients and clients get the best veterinary care possible. You will work alongside a rotating intern and a dedicated team of medicine nurses. You will be required to communicate with clients and other vets, participate in procedures, help manage patient care and discuss diagnostic options and case management with the specialists. In addition, you will participate in journal club, weekly intern presentations, monthly physiology tutorials and one-on-one mentoring. While the workload is high it is also highly rewarding, working with a friendly, enthusiastic and passionate team.
The Successful Applicant will have:
• Tertiary qualified Veterinarian DVM, BVSc (or equivalent)
• Ideally completed a rotating internship or similar clinical experience
• Current (or transferable) registration with the Veterinary Practitioners Board of Victoria
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to collaborate with different levels of individuals within the practice
• Problem-solving and decision-making skills
• Self-motivation and commitment to ongoing professional development
• Effective time management and organisational skills
• Strong work ethic
• Dedication to patient care with a hands-on approach
• Attention to detail
What we will provide for you
• Guidance and support for future career planning, with a strong emphasis on achieving further qualifications or residency applications.
• A friendly, accessible, supportive team who cares not just about your career, but also your health and wellbeing.
• Employee Assistance Program
• Continuing Education Allowance and time off to attend CE events
• Competitive salary
• AVA memberships and access to VIN and Veterinary Journals
This role is available to commence in January 2022 although start date can be flexible if needed.
Applications must contain the following;
• Letter of intent;
• Current curriculum vitae, including evidence of veterinary professional experience;
• A copy of the applicant’s undergraduate (and any post-graduate) academic transcript;
• Names and contact details of two referees;
• Evidence that the applicant is able to work in Australia.
Please address applications to: HR@vrh247.com.au. Any questions regarding the program can be directed to the Head of Medicine, Sarah Helmond: firstname.lastname@example.org