Specialist Vet Nurse
Animal Referral Hospital (ARH) Essendon Fields is a 24-hour emergency and specialist referral hospital with a dedicated team working across ECC, Internal Medicine and Surgery. We aim to provide a comprehensive emergency and referral service to veterinarians, their clients and their patients.
We are seeking a patient-focused veterinary nurse to work within both our Internal Medicine and Surgery departments, with 3 boarded Internal Medicine Specialists and 3 boarded Specialist Surgeons, and a team of highly skilled medical and surgical nurses. This position is a part-time fixed-term parental leave cover role involving four 10-hour shifts per week Monday to Friday, primarily focused on assisting with inpatient care, assistance with patient restraint and procedures, submission of CTs and MRIs for radiologist interpretation, and patient admission and discharges.
About Your New Role
• Carry out surgical patient admission and discharge procedures
• A part-time role with variety
• Maintenance of paperless patient charts and records (Smartflow)
• Perform IV catheterisation, blood collection and laboratory work
• Assist with diagnostic imaging procedures (radiography, CT & MRI)
• Anaesthetic monitoring occasionally
• Post-operative patient care
• Instrument cleaning, maintenance and autoclaving
• Medicine and Surgery inpatient management, feeding, toileting and medicating, including care and maintenance of drains and feeding tubes etc.
About Your Skills & Experience
- Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year of nursing experience, preferably with some experience in a specialist/referral or emergency environment (but not essential)
- Knowledge of RxWorks and Smartflow operation will be highly regarded (but not essential)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing work environments and schedules
- Ability to work sole charge, but also as part of a close-knit team
- Exceptional time management and organisational skills
- Exceptional customer service and strong communication skills
- Highly motivated, strong work ethic, mature and responsible
This is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic veterinary nurse to demonstrate and expand on their existing skills and knowledge. The successful candidate will be exposed to a varied and interesting caseload.
The team is friendly and supportive, the hospital has state-of-the-art facilities, the pay is commensurate to experience, and ongoing training is encouraged.
How to Contact Us
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please note that due to the high number of applicants we can only contact candidates that are chosen for an interview.