Surgery Night Vet Nurse
Essendon Fields VIC
An opportunity for a Vet Nurse to join our Essendon Fields team on a part-time basis.
Animal Referral Hospital (ARH) Essendon is a 24-hour emergency and specialist referral hospital with a dedicated team working across ECC, Internal Medicine and Surgery. We aim to provide a comprehensive emergency and referral service to veterinarians, their clients and their patients.
Due to our expanding case load, we are seeking a patient-focused veterinary nurse to work with two ACVS boarded Specialist Surgeons, a surgical Resident, a surgical Intern and a team of highly skilled surgical nurses.
This position is a permanent part-time role involving two weekday overnight shifts Monday to Friday, primarily focused on the overnight care of the hospitalised surgical patients and assisting with any late surgical procedures, with the support of the overnight ECC team.
About Your New Role
• Carry out surgical patient admission and discharge procedures
• Maintenance of paperless patient charts and records (Smartflow)
• Performing IV catheterisation, blood collection and laboratory work
• Assisting with diagnostic imaging procedures (radiography, CT & MRI)
• Surgical theatre set-up and clean-up
• Surgical patient aseptic preparation
• Anaesthetic monitoring
• Assisting surgeons in theatre
• Post-operative patient care
• Instrument cleaning, maintenance and autoclaving
• Surgery inpatient management, feeding, toileting and medicating, including care and maintenance of drains and feeding tubes etc.
About Your Qualifications & Skills
• Minimum of 3 years nursing experience, preferably in a specialist/referral or emergency environment (but not essential)
• Minimum Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent
• Knowledge of RxWorks and Smartflow will be highly regarded (but not essential)
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing work environments and schedules
• Ability to work sole charge, but also as part of a close-knit team
• Exceptional time management and organisational skills
• Exceptional customer service and strong communication skills
• Highly motivated, strong work ethic, mature and responsible
This is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic veterinary nurse to demonstrate and expand on their existing skills and knowledge. The successful candidate will be exposed to a varied and interesting caseload, making a difference to highly critical patients.
The team is friendly and supportive, the hospital has state-of-the-art facilities, the pay is commensurate to experience, and ongoing training is encouraged.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Tania Shaw, Specialist in Small Animal Surgery on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 12 November 2021.
Please note that due to the high number of applicants we can only contact candidates that are chosen for an interview.