Surgery Vet Nurse
An opportunity for a Surgery Veterinary Nurse to join our Canberra team on a full-time basis.
• Challenge and enhance your existing Veterinary Nursing skills
• Join a close-knit and mutually supportive team
• Free on-site parking and close to public transport
Animal Referral Hospital (ARH) Canberra is a 24-hour emergency and specialist referral hospital with a dedicated team working across ECC, Internal Medicine and Surgery. We aim to provide a comprehensive emergency and referral service to veterinarians, their clients and their patients.
An opportunity for a patient-focused veterinary nurse to work with two boarded Specialist Surgeons, a surgical Resident, a surgical Intern and a team of highly skilled surgical nurses. This position is a permanent full-time role involving four 10-hour weekday shifts Monday to Friday, primarily focused on assisting with surgical consultations and procedures, surgical theatre set-up and maintenance, anaesthetic monitoring, surgical prep, care and maintenance of surgical instruments, and post-operative patient care.
About Your New Role
• Carry out surgical patient admission and discharge procedures
• Maintenance of paperless patient charts and records (Smartflow)
• Performing IV catheterisation, blood collection and laboratory work
• Assisting with diagnostic imaging procedures (radiography, CT & MRI)
• Surgical theatre set-up and clean-up
• Surgical patient aseptic preparation
• Anaesthetic monitoring
• Assisting surgeons in theatre
• Post-operative patient care
• Instrument cleaning, maintenance and autoclaving
• Surgery inpatient management, feeding, toileting and medicating, including care and maintenance of drains and feeding tubes etc.
• Minimum of 3 years nursing experience, preferably in a specialist/referral or emergency environment (but not essential)
• Minimum Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent
• Knowledge of RxWorks and Smartflow will be highly regarded (but not essential)
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing work environments and schedules
• Ability to work sole charge, but also as part of a close-knit team
• Exceptional time management and organisational skills
• Exceptional customer service and strong communication skills
• Highly motivated, strong work ethic, mature and responsible
This is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic veterinary nurse to demonstrate and expand on their existing skills and knowledge. The successful candidate will be exposed to a varied and interesting caseload, making a difference to highly critical patients.
The team is friendly and supportive, the hospital has state-of-the-art facilities, the pay is commensurate to experience, and ongoing training is encouraged.
How to Contact Us
If you would like to know more about the role or apply, please send your query to Jasdeep Phull, Business Manager on email@example.com