Bites And Stings

In the majority of cases, stings or  bites

from insects (like bees, wasps, hornets or ants) usually cause a painful, yet harmless, reaction. However, some pets may have more acute and life-threatening allergic reactions that require immediate veterinary treatment.

Signs of insect bites

Local reactions:

  • pain
  • itchy
  • redness and swelling in the area
  • hives (little lumps over the skin)

Severe reactions:

  • difficulty breathing
  • profound swelling
  • vomiting/diarrhoea
  • shock/collapse/coma

What to do

Local reactions

  • when possible, remove the embedded stingers with tweezers
  • never squeeze the area – this may cause further pain and deepen the stinger
  • apply a cold pack to the swollen area
  • call your local Greencross Clinic

Stings in the mouth

  • causes swelling of the mouth and often the animal will ‘paw’ at the area
  • remove the stinger
  • call your local Greencross Clinic

It is best to seek veterinary attention immediately, especially if they are stung in the throat area and have trouble breathing. Bring your pet to your nearest Greencross Vets or emergency centre for treatment.

 
Undefined
Your nearest clinic: Undefined
Undefined