Ant bites can cause pain and swelling at the site of the bite. They don’t often cause a severe allergic reaction, however, the area that has been bitten can be very irritating to your pet.
Signs of an ant bite
- pet suddenly holds leg/paw up sometimes flicking and shaking the leg
- sudden redness between the toes
- licking or chewing at the site of the bite
- apply a cold compress to the site of the bite for 5 to 10 minutes
- if the bite is on the foot, place the foot in a cold water bath for 5 to 10 minutes
- prevent your pet from licking the area to avoid infection,
Your local vet can provide a special collar to protect the area if the pet is causing self inflicted trauma by licking or chewing.
If the swelling and redness does not subside, bring your pet to your local Greencross Vets.